Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Is golf dying?

Last year, I played 11 holes of golf one night after work. That was it in 2008, 11 lousy holes. But it wasn't much less than in 2007, when I played 2 full rounds.

I love the game and have made several golf trips to Myrtle Beach, S.C., in the past, but finding time to play and the expense of a round of golf is the problem.

But it's not just with me, according to an article in Advertising Age magazine.

According to Golf Datatech and the National Golf Foundation, the number of rounds played in 2008 dropped 1.8% from the number played in 2007. At America's unofficial golf capital in Myrtle Beach, S.C. -- where there are 74 courses, including 10 of Golf Digest's Top 100 Public Courses -- rounds played in 2008 were down 8.5% compared with 2007.

It wasn't just that fewer rounds are being played. According to the article, by nearly all accounts, sales of golf clubs, balls, apparel and other accessories fell in 2008 compared with 2007.

If I can get out for at least one full round this year, I will consider it progress.

No comments: