Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The dreaded pick

I don't know what to make of the Phillies chances to win the World Series.

One minute, I think that they're a determined group of 25 players and won't be satisfied until they win it all. I think of Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Cole Hamels at the top of their games and pushing the team to the title.

The next minute, I think of the Phillies' offensive inconsistency all season and some struggles by the starting rotation. And I look at the young, talented Tampa Bay Rays who won 97 games in the regular season and represent the much-tougher American League.

Will the Phillies feel on their shoulders the collective weight of 25 years of failures by Philadelphia major sports teams and the hopes of a few million people? Will the weeklong layoff help, or hurt?

When the Phillies were Cinderella in 1993, their bubble burst on Joe Carter's series-winning home run. When, or will, the Rays' bubble burst?

Check out who simulators feel will win. And here's what ESPN's analysts think.

I was right about the Phillies beating the Brewers in the National League Division Series, and right about them defeating the Dodgers in the National League Championship Series.

Will I be right about the World Series? I hope not. I think the layoff will hurt the Phillies. That, and their 4-11 record in interleague play doesn't instill confidence.

I pick with my head instead of my heart: Rays in 6.

If you've got Phillies Phever, send us your photos at http://allaroundphilly.mycapture.com/mycapture/photos/Album.aspx?EventID=615675&CategoryID=43192

No comments: